Monday, May 23, 2011

First Blog! 18 Weeks Pregnant

Today I am 18 weeks and 2 days pregnant. Things have been going smoothly for me but I'm not liking my vitamins...they make me feel sick! I just have to let it pass and move on. It sucks. I found out the sex on thursday! I had my second ultrasound at 17 weeks 5 days, and the baby cooperated :) I think we were slightly lucky though because the legs were crossed at the ankles..but we still got to peek inside those legs! I don't understand why I had to drink 16 oz. of water an hour before my appointment..all it made me do was need to pee really bad. and midway through the ultrasound the technician told me to empty my bladder so we could continue! Oh well though. She didn't point out that anything looked unusual. The baby was wiggling around, the heartbeat was good, ten fingers, ten toes, saw the brain, stomach, other organs. All looked good. However, the next day I got a call from my doctor after he received the pictures and he told me my baby had a choroid plexus cyst in the brain. He was very reassuring, saying in his 21 years of working there he has never seen this cyst as a sign of anything more serious, but it could be trisomy 18. He suggested I see genetics to get counseling and a follow up ultrasound. Although he emphasized very strongly that it was most likely nothing and he was just obligated to let me know and give me my options, of course I worried. Today I'm going to that appointment. I'm not as worried anymore..more just excited that I'll get to see my baby again!! Here are some sites I found that'll go more in-depth explaining choroid plexus cysts:

http://www.gbmc.org/body.cfm?id=314  (This is actually the hospital my doctor is at and where I'm giving birth!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choroid_plexus_cyst

http://www.steadyhealth.com/The_consequences_of_choroid_plexus_cyst_t53266.html

I'm still very nervous. Hoping no other abnormalities are found. For the record, at my first doctors visit we determined my EDD was October 22. My first ultrasound showed the baby measuring 3 days behind, but my doctor didnt change the due date. And on this ultrasound, the baby was measuring 5 days ahead! The baby is growing at an excellent pace, not stunted at all. THANK GOD. If anyone reading this has had a baby with a choroid plexus cyst, or recently found out their baby has one, I'm sure I'll be able to answer any questions :)

That's all for today, might do something later after my appointment with genetics. But for now, here is my beautiful little baby....it's a BOY!!

Profile at 17 weeks 5 days




Whole Body!



Little tootsies :) slightly crossed at the ankles.


This was how little he was just 10 weeks ago. He's grown so much!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing informative post… Insight Genomica is a genetics consultancy based in Melbourne Australia that provides genetic counselling Melbourne, paternity test & ancestry DNA testing & advice.

    ReplyDelete