Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Results From Latest Sonogram 5/23/11

Now that I got my venting out, it's time to talk about my appointment with genetics and my ultrasound. First thing we did there was talk to a genetics counseler, who got the family history on both sides of our family. She talked about the choroid plexus cyst and gave me my options and her professional opinion of what I should do. To sum it up, I was there to get an ultrasound to look for any other markers for trisomy 18, but I could also get blood tests done to look for other markers or get an amnio to get a straight yes or no answer. But with amnio right now, the risk of miscarriage is much higher than the risk of having trisomy 18 with a completely clear ultrasound. So I decided to get the blood work done and if that is clear, I'll put this all behind me. The ultrasound was nice and long :) got to see my boy for a while. The difference between this ultrasound and the one I had 4 days earlier was this one was more in depth and the technician/doctor actually explained to us all what she was looking at and whether it looked normal or not. Thank god, everything was normal. The ultrasound may have been slightly clearer but not a big difference. I got four more pictures but they were all profile and I got better profile pictures at the first ultrasound. My favorite parts were when we all got to see him doing cool things, like swallowing! I'm not so sure we'd be able to see that on the other ultrasound, but it was VERY clear and SUPER adorable to watch that! Not only that, he gave us all a very clear thumbs up! As if he was telling us all he's okay and there's no need to worry :) What I thought was weird was his position..his feet were completely above his head! That sounds very uncomfortable to me but he seemed to like it!
So anyway, after the ultrasound I got my blood drawn. Took 30 seconds and I should get the results back any day now. I've always been a champ with needles ;) in fact, after I give birth I'm going to give blood. My blood type is O-, the universal donor. Now here's a lesson for those of you who are confused or don't know about this. Some people I know seem to think O+ is the universal donor. BUT. Rh+ people cannot donate to rh- people. A can't donate to B or O, B can't donate to A or O. AB+ is the universal recipient since it has the A antigen, B antigen, and is rh+. You can't put something in someones body that isn't already there or the body will see it as a foreigner and attack it. So for me the good news is I can donate because my blood is very valuable. Bad news is the ONLY blood I can receive is my own blood type, which is somewhat rare. I can't get A+, A-, B+, B-, AB+, AB-, or O+. To anyone who has O-, DONATE!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment